Subject: 2025 Burning Man DMV Application: Ready Go Train Tours

From: DMV Application <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2025 18:14:42 -0500

Please do not hit reply to this email if you wish to contact us. This is an automated notification, which is unable to receive replies.

Contact us directly by emailing [email-masked].

[This is an automated email from the DMV's application submission system.]

Your application has been successfully submitted to the Black Rock City DMV for review.

Your Survey Status ID is: SVM25-02-19-4898

After your application has been reviewed, you can expect one of the following:

1. You will receive an email inviting you to bring your Mutant Vehicle (MV) to the Black Rock City DMV kiosk in Black Rock City for the final on-playa inspection. If invited to bring your vehicle, you will also be added to an email announcement list for Mutant Vehicles owners, which will provide you with important information before the event.

OR

2. You will receive an email indicating your Mutant Vehicle is NOT invited to Burning Man this year. If you receive this email, it is because a team of DMV Volunteers determined that this vehicle would not meet the criteria to be issued a license on the playa OR because we ran out of invites for this year. The email will provide an explanation as to why your vehicle was not invited.

OR

3. You will be contacted by a member of the Black Rock City DMV and asked to clarify information about your application or vehicle. Once that clarification is made, the DMV will process your application as above.

Allow at least 5 weeks after you complete your application for us to review it and get back to you. (Though we will likely get back to you much sooner.)  

The DMV will send you status updates on your application periodically . If you have not heard back from us by June 1, or if you have any questions, please contact us at [email-masked].

That's all for now!

Thanks!

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Department of Mutant Vehicles

IF YOU DID NOT MEAN TO SUBMIT YET ... 

If you are receiving this notifier, your application has been submitted. If you did not mean for this to happen, please email [email-masked] and let us know that you have submitted a form by mistake. Please include the exact name of the vehicle, the date submitted, and the email used on your submission, so we can easily identify your application.

 Questions are asked based on users and their input. If you see questions you did not answer they were likely optional or hidden from you.

Below are your answers:

-------------------------

First Name

David Ljung

Last Name

Madison Stellar

Email Address

[email-masked]

Playa Name

Captain Mango

Address 1

1447 Palou Ave

Address 2

City

San Francisco

Country

US

State or Province

CA

Postal Code

94124

Phone Number

415 341 5555

I have read and understand all the above information, including the information on the linked pages, and I agree to comply with all applicable terms and conditions.** Please note: This is a preliminary agreement. Before receiving a license to operate a Mutant Vehicle at Burning Man, you must complete and sign the Mutant Vehicle Agreement. This will be completed on the playa once your vehicle has passed inspection.

True

Calendar Permission

True

Artist Credit Name

Captain Mango and Ready Go

Survey Status ID

SVM25-02-19-4898

Vehicle Ownership Structure

Individual(s)

Owning Entity Name

Owning Entity Place of Formation

Address of Owning Entity

City of Owning Entity

Country of Owning Entity

United States

State or Province of Owning Entity

CA

Zip or Postal Code of Owning Entity

Owning Entity Representative 1 Full Name

Representative 1 Title or Role in the Entity

Representative 1 Email

Owning Entity Representative 2 Full Name

Representative 2 Title or Role in the Entity

Representative 2 Email

Owning Entity Representative 3 Full Name

Representative 3 Title or Role in the Entity

Representative 3 Email

1st Additional Responsible Party: First Name

David

1st Additional Responsible Party: Last Name

Stellar

1st Additional Responsible Party: Playa Name

1st Additional Responsible Party: Email

[email-masked]

1st Additional Responsible Party: Mailing Address

1447 Palou Avenue

1st Additional Responsible Party: City

San Francisco

1st Additional Responsible Party: Country

United States

1st Additional Responsible Party: State or Province

CA

1st Additional Responsible Party: Zip or Postal Code

94124

1st Additional Responsible Party: Phone Number

4153415555

2nd Additional Responsible Party: First Name

2nd Additional Responsible Party: Last Name

2nd Additional Responsible Party: Playa Name

2nd Additional Responsible Party: Email

2nd Additional Responsible Party: Mailing Address

2nd Additional Responsible Party: City

2nd Additional Responsible Party: Country

2nd Additional Responsible Party: State

2nd Additional Responsible Party: Zip

2nd Additional Responsible Party: Phone Number

Mutant Vehicle Name

Ready Go Train Tours

Mutant Vehicle Short Description

A small train engine pulling a caboose trailer for giving playa tours full of factual and amusingly non-factual information

Keyword 1

Cute

Keyword 2

Train

Keyword 3

Caboose

Keyword 4

Keyword 5

Mutant Vehicle URL

http://ultrastuntdangeracademy.com/Train/

New or Returning Vehicle

A returning vehicle primarily the same as it was in previous years (same theme, only minor changes/upgrades if any)

Previous Mutant Vehicle Names

Ultimus Train Tours LLC 6000

Years Your Vehicle Has Been at Burning Man

2015,2016,2022,2023

About the Vehicle's Mutation

I have been in charge of the train for a number of years now after taking over this project from previous owners to combine our visions of what is possible for this platform.

The caboose (trailer) is an airport luggage trailer that has been turned into a caboose and is capable of carrying passengers slowly around the playa, by adding an entire caboose body and roof/lighting structure to transform it into part of a train.

In previous years (2015/2016) the caboose was towed by a van that used lights and decoration to make it look like a train engine - this has been vastly upgraded with a custom train engine built on top of an airport luggage tug, which has the added benefit of being geared for slow driving and tow ability. This is how the vehicle has been on playa during 2022-2024.   The train engine is a strong welded body with a "smoke stack" which houses train horns and potentially a fog machine to create "smoke".  The caboose is also a luggage tug trailer.  Unfortunately it has two pivot points and cannot use the normal "rope boundaries" to protect the trailer, so I have created a novel expanding metal barrier to make the trailer pivot area safe.  This barrier was called "the best trailer barrier we have seen yet" by the 2024 DMV staff.

I have been working on adding lighting with the hope of getting licensing for night operation for at least the train if not the caboose as well.

Mutant Vehicle Intent

In my years at Burning Man I have often found myself using my improv skills in the position of MC/announcer, such as when I was the announcer for the art project Rock'Em Sock'Em Robots (2003,2004,2006,2010), or for Super Street Fire (Street Fighter 'game') (2013), or the 20 years I have volunteered out at greeting. Life is play, and it's fun for everyone to inject play and nonsense into how we view the world.

I have dreamed for a long time of giving tours of the playa full of some correct information, as well as clearly incorrect information. It's similar to how I ran the Rock'Em Sock'Em Robots and draws on my professional improv theater background.

The train itself is a perfect vehicle for this, and especially fits my lifestyle now at Burning Man. After 20+ years of the burn, and coming with my wife and small child, I'm more than happy to take things at a more relaxed pace and just show people the city I love.

Fortunately my wife is also a brilliant improviser, and we are partnering up with another couple with their child, who are some of our closest friends, having met thanks to Burning Man 2002 and who also have that improv experience and childlike wonder about life that will help make the tour a ridiculous magical adventure out on the playa, safe for all ages.

Please describe specifically how your Mutant Vehicle will advance the values of R.I.D.E..

We intentionally try to pick everyone up that we can (although admittedly are not really wheelchair accessible unless the rider was willing to be adventurous about getting help from us to get on board - we will happily carry a wheelchair in our back storage space).  We also intentionally search out projects created by diverse artist groups.

We are marking ourselves as "not wheelchair accessible" because a wheelchair would not be able to ride onto our vehicle, but we would happily assist anyone in a wheelchair with getting into our vehicle and carrying the wheelchair for the ride.

R.I.D.E. Lead Contact - First Name

R.I.D.E. Lead Contact - Last Name

RIDE Lead Contact - Email

Is your vehicle wheelchair accessible?

False

Day License

True

Night License

True

Lighting Plans

The train engine has normal driving lights and we will be adding a front spot. We will also add a spot in the smokestack to add a "fire" glow, as well as illuminate the "smoke" (fog machine). The outline of the engine and the caboose will be lined with multicolor LED strips that can either add a solid color for tours, or animated multi-color for "party" mode (such as after Burn night). The caboose will have an internal light for more glow on the center "tower" on the roof, as well as 4 sconches around the corners (see photo). There will also be a suspended light on a curved bar hanging off the back for the back entrance and rear illumination (as well as the actual trailer brake light illumination). Finally, the interior of the caboose will have a low level "ambient" glow light for the people inside the caboose so it isn't dark but doesn't effect their general visibility out.

Street Legal

False

Vehicle License Number

State of license

Vehicle Height

9

Vehicle Length

21

Vehicle Width

5

Frame Base

Airport luggage tug

Capacity

5-10

Art Tours

Number of Trailers

1

Trailer Description

The trailer is the "caboose" of the train and carries the tour passengers.  As mentioned above, the trailer guard for the pivot point was called "the best trailer barrier we have seen yet" by the 2024 DMV staff.

Levels

False

Level Description

Sound System

True

How big is your system?

Normal car stereo or Average living room (under 90 db at 30 ft)

Sound Impact Remediation

The sound system is going to be a simple PA for giving tours, we will have external and internal speakers, and will generally only use the external speakers on open playa to make announcements ("the tour is leaving!"), and mostly the sound will only be for the tour guide to talk to people inside the trailer.

DJ Stopping on Playa

No

DJ Plans

Food Service

False

Operating Procedures

Every tour for passengers will have two operators. The driver of the vehicle is responsible for vehicle operation and is generally focused forward. The tour guide is in the engine cabin but facing backwards to see the passengers and ensure the following:

1) No passengers entering the space near the trailer hitch (between engine + caboose)
2) Watching for any poorly lit and unaware BRC cyclists/pedestrians close to the sides
3) No standing passengers
4) No entering/exiting the vehicle during movement.

Fortunately due to the small size and the slow speed of the train, as well as the fact that it's generally fairly low noise, we have found that we are able to manage the safety issues with operating a vehicle in such an overstimulating environment.

During high-traffic times, such as near the man burn, we will use walkers posted around the vehicle to help guide the train in and out of high traffic areas, or else avoid them altogether.

Enter/Exit Procedures

When the vehicle is stopped, passengers can exit from the sides or the rear door of the caboose. Only the vehicle operation team will be allowed in the engine, and exit will only happen when the vehicle is parked. No caboose exits will be allowed via the front of the caboose, as this is too close to the trailer hitch area, and this area is already blocked off.

Vehicle Propulsion Type

6 cylinder ford gas engine.

The drive is all stock for a luggage tug.

Since the transmission is geared for very low speed, it runs at a decent MPG for carrying such a load.

I don't know what the MPG is on the playa pulling the trailer, but we aren't planning on driving non-stop through the night.

Mutant Vehicle Fuel Type

Gasoline

Other Mutant Vehicle Fuel Type

Battery Type

Battery Quantity

Battery Size

Mutant Vehicle Fuel Economy

15

How much fuel do you expect your Mutant Vehicle to consume on the playa this year?

30

Is your project working towards the Burning Man Sustainability Roadmap (to be ecologically regenerative, carbon negative, and manage waste sustainably)? 

I'm not sure, send me more information

Please describe how your mutant vehicle will address the challenges of sustainability, reduce your carbon footprint, and/or experiment with innovations around environmental sustainability.

Sustainability Lead Contact - First Name

Sustainability Lead Contact - Last Name

Sustainability Lead Contact - Email

Cleaner Power Alternatives

No

Civic Activation

Public Email

[email-masked]

Web Description

Ready Go Black Rock City Train Tours!

Since 1907 we have been giving purely information tours around BRC and we are the only Tour LLC with licensing to legally operate according to the BMOrg Tour Inspection Committee.

Learn all about the history of Burning Man, from it's initial incarnation as Larry Harvey's eighth birthday party to the sprawling metropolis it is today!

Get to see art that regular BRC citizens haven't heard of, and even get a chance to ride the hidden subterranean tunnels that connect the 3 and 6 o'clock plaza, only on the Ready Go Black Rock City Train Tours!

Vehicle Hometown

San Francisco, CA, USA

Design Safety

As a luggage tug, the vehicle is easily able to slowly handle a large load around playa.

The entire design is low to the ground and any danger points around the engine wheels/trailer are protected with chain and/or walls. Even the fake "cow catcher" on the front has the added benefit of helping protect anyone from getting run over by the vehicle. The visibility on the vehicle is high and the vehicle itself is fairly small.

Does your Mutant Vehicle have a steam boiler of any type?

False

Are you using lasers on your mutant vehicle?

False

Laser Contact First Name

Laser Contact Last Name

Laser Contact's Playa Name

Laser Contact's Email

Laser Description and Safety Measures

Flame Effects

No

Do you intend to register for the BRC Fuel Program?

True

How many people does it take to operate this vehicle at one time?

2

How many people are required to prep/build/assemble this vehicle on-playa?

1

Describe Tasks

Tasks Hours Required

Number of Work Access Passes

Arrival Day

Do you plan to request reserved camping?

Yes, we are part of a registered/registering theme camp/village

Camp Name

Par

Camp Lead Name

Laura Hutchinson

Camp Lead Email

[email-masked]

By checking this box, I acknowledge I have read, understand and consent to all terms in the above Flame Effects Fire Safety Agreement.

Fire Safety Liaison Name

Fire Safety Liaison Phone Number

Fire Safety Liaison Email Address

Fire Safety Assistants

Flame Effects Scenario

Flame Effect Fuels

Flame Effect Fuel Amounts

Gallons of propane to be used per day 

Cubic feet of hydrogen to be used per day 

Gallons of Other flame effects fuels to be used per day 

Fire Safety Diagram/Schematics File Upload

Flame Effects Operating Plan

Emergency Response Plan

Leave No Trace

*****ADMIN ONLY******

Session ID

1740005598_67b660ded52d49.57699815

**************************

Below are links to the files uploaded in this application:

Please click the link below to access your file. Larger files can take longer to upload, so if your file isn't immediately available please try again in a few minutes. If you are still unable to access your file after 30 minutes please contact the survey administrator:
http://surveygizmoresponseuploads.s3.amazonaws.com/fileuploads/101590/6047425/239-21740c6293f31c9a89a00249a037027e_20230831_162852.jpg

Please click the link below to access your file. Larger files can take longer to upload, so if your file isn't immediately available please try again in a few minutes. If you are still unable to access your file after 30 minutes please contact the survey administrator:
http://surveygizmoresponseuploads.s3.amazonaws.com/fileuploads/101590/6047425/240-79ab7816e12acac60b7337b12265f426_Train.Jamen-Percy.jpg

Please click the link below to access your file. Larger files can take longer to upload, so if your file isn't immediately available please try again in a few minutes. If you are still unable to access your file after 30 minutes please contact the survey administrator:
http://surveygizmoresponseuploads.s3.amazonaws.com/fileuploads/101590/6047425/146-01822e46ccc10e671f1f5b5edcb33bcb_2023.Sun.jpg